We were pretty excited about National Trails Day – the first Saturday of June. It’s the country’s largest celebration of trails, and Kansas has hundreds of miles of great trails (hint, find out more with our book!).
But then, as can happen in Kansas, the weather has turned and a lot of trails may not be in great condition for a hike. Something to keep in mind – as best you can, stay off trails for a couple of days after a big rain since bike treads and hoof prints particularly will leave indentations in the mud that will then harden, making a previously well-groomed trail into a rutted mess.
For those ready to take on the always changing Kansas weather, volunteers have worked hard to put together some events across the state. Here are the National Trails Day events happening in Kansas –
- Southwind Rail Trail’s 2nd Anniversary Celebration – Southwind Rail Trail Volunteers
- 06/05/2015 – 06/06/2015 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Walk Sand Creek Trail Day – Bethel College-Sand Creek Trail Commitee
- 06/06/2015 6:00 am – 8:00 pm
- Hidden Valley Trails Day – Friends of Hidden Valley
- 06/06/2015 8:00 am – 12:30 pm
- National Trails Day – 3 Mile Walk – Leavenworth Parks and Recreation
- 06/06/2015 8:00 am – 9:00 am